Dear Glenbrook Club Members and Families,
While it has looked a lot like summer in recent weeks from our live webcam, the opening of the Glenbrook Club for the 2020 season is still three and a half months away. In the meantime, we share with you the following news and updates from the Glenbrook Club.
Welcome Rick Vaughan, New Head Golf Pro
We are delighted to report that Rick Vaughan will be joining the Glenbrook Club team in May as our Head Golf Pro, responsible for all golf operations and events. Rick was the unanimous choice of our Search Committee, comprised of Brad Forrester, Leslie Heisz, John Telischak, and Thomas Tenorio.
Rick is a long-time Nevada resident and played and coached at the collegiate level. He has PGA Class A credentials, and most importantly, has served as a head pro for 20 years and knows all aspects of the business – from merchandising and teaching to creating and organizing successful golf events. He has already made a contribution to our Club, with the addition of a clinic for teens and new formats for our weekly women’s and men’s golf events. You can read more about Rick here.
Please come meet Rick and see your fellow Club members at our member reception on Wednesday, June 24 from 5–7 pm at the Clubhouse.
2020 Season Calendar
To help with your summer plans, the 2020 Club Calendar is linked here. The calendar is also posted on the Club website, where we will update it with scheduling changes and additions before and during the season.
Please note several items on the 2020 calendar:
- Memorial Day BBQ is Saturday, May 23 from 12 -2 pm rain or shine.
- The Clubhouse opens for the season for lunch on Wednesday, June 17.
- Member Reception/Meet the Pro is Wednesday, June 24 from 5 – 7 pm.
- Our first 2020 open members session with the Board is Friday, June 26 from 9-10 am.
- We have added several casual “themed” dinners (such as taco night) on Wednesday evenings.
- In addition to children’s golf clinics on Sundays and Wednesdays, we will offer a clinic for teens on alternate Sundays at 10 am.
- We have scheduled a yoga class (members will pay the instructor directly) and a member-led walk around Glenbrook with coffee afterward (no host) on several Mondays at 9 am early in the season. If there is sufficient member interest, we will add more dates. Look for details in our spring letter.
- Western, Cal Neva, and Nantucket Nights are back and mark your calendar for our new New Orleans Night on July 11.
- The Clubhouse will be closed on Saturday, September 12 and Saturday, September 19 for member weddings.
- The Clubhouse will close for the season after dinner on Sunday, October 4. Last year, we stayed open through October 19, which was appreciated by those members who used the Club during the extra 2½ weeks, but was not financially successful. Thus, we are not planning to extend the season this year.
Member Survey Results
Thank you to the 143 members who participated in our 2019 survey. Your input from the survey – as well as from our open member meetings last summer and direct communication to the Board – is very important as we work to make the Club even better.
We are pleased to report that 86% of members who completed the survey rated the Club “excellent” or “very good,” up from 78% last year. An additional 13% rated the Club “good,” with only two members – or 1.4 % – rating the Club “fair,” and no one rating it “poor.” Moreover, 77% of respondents felt the Club was better last summer than the summer before – kudos to Thomas Tenorio and our entire staff!
The survey also highlighted areas for continued improvement and provided useful suggestions, many of which we hope to address in the upcoming season. Click here for the full results of the 2019 member survey.
Long Range Planning
The Board has begun a long-range planning process to develop a multi-year roadmap for our Club, which will address issues ranging from membership and financial sustainability to facilities maintenance and/or potential new programs and facilities.
John Deane is chairing the Long-Range Planning Committee, which also includes Lauren Beelar, Randall Bolten, Nancy Field, John Telischak, Thomas Tenorio, and Rick Wolford. The Committee will solicit input from our membership in the coming six months and hopes to complete the plan to be submitted to the Board for approval in the fall. If you are interested in working with the Committee, please email John Deane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last summer we thanked outgoing Nominating Committee members Dick Stuart and Ann Jones for their many years of service to our membership and Board. We are pleased to announce that Susan Clemons and Susan Countner, two long-time and active members of the Glenbrook Club community, have joined the Nominating Committee.
We expect to have one opening on the Board for the next three-year term, which begins August 2020. If you are interested in being considered for nomination to the Club Board – or would like to recommend someone — please submit the name to CeCe Baise, Chair of the Nominating Committee, at email@example.com by May 30.
Other Club Matters
As you know, we asked all Club members to vote on the important issue of the use of our facilities by renters of member homes. Independent accountants, McClintock Accountancy, received and tabulated the results of the vote, which we reported to our membership on February 6 as follows:
- 212 ballots were received (one ballot allowed per membership), representing 83% participation, well above the required quorum of 170 member ballots.
- 151 Yes votes were cast to allow renters of member homes who rent for a minimum period of seven days to be able to use the Club (renters must be registered with the Club and adhere to all existing and potential new Club rules and policies).
- 61 No votes were cast to prohibit the use of the Club by all renters of member homes.
Within the context of this outcome, the Renters Task Force is reviewing current policies and considering additional appropriate policies regarding use of the Club by renters of member homes as the quality of our members’ experience is our first priority. These policies, and the Club’s other existing policies regarding pets, dress code, fees etc, will be included in our spring communication.
Until then, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or any member of the Board, with questions or concerns.