November 1, 2018
Dear Fellow Glenbrook Club Members,
Thank you all for making this past summer one of the best in recent memory.
At the top of our list of summer 2018 highlights is the new bar, which opened in June. Our goal in building the bar was to continue to enhance member experience and provide more ways to bring our community together. We hope you feel that the bar has moved us forward on both fronts.
Before we review the other highlights of 2018 and our plans for the coming year, we would like to thank our General Manager, Thomas Tenorio. Thomas did an outstanding job during both the summer months and the off-season, when so much of the hard work happens each year to ensure a great summer for our members.
Not only did Thomas oversee the design and construction of the new bar and the significant improvements to the golf course that led to the best course conditions in years, but he also brought back many of the staff we know and like so much and hired new team members who we hope to see again next summer. We are extremely grateful to Thomas and the entire staff for their big part in making the summer such a success.
Highlights of 2018
In addition to substantially completing the Club’s most extensive facilities enhancement project, here is a brief recap of the year:
- Thank you to our 153 members who contributed over $630,000 to the voluntary Glenbrook Club Campaign that funded our facilities enhancement project. You have helped take our Club to the next level.
- Reflecting strong member enthusiasm for the new bar and our much-improved golf course, food and beverage revenue increased over 11% (alcohol sales were up 33%!) and green fee revenue was up 45% (in part due to better weather this year).
- We expect to end 2018 with an operating loss, but believe we are making progress given our higher revenues. We will share more financial detail after the end of the year.
- Annual member dues increased a modest 3% this year, marking the 7th consecutive year of dues increases of 3% or less. We continue to balance the challenges of operating the Club efficiently — though being open only four months a year — and delivering excellent service to members.
- We welcomed seven new members in 2018, bringing total membership to 249. Growth in new membership is important for the financial well-being and overall vitality of our Club.
- In August, our membership elected two new Directors, CeCe Baise and John Deane. CeCe and John bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Board and both are already making significant contributions.
- We thanked out-going Directors Pat McClain and Dana Jackson for their service to the Board — Pat as Chair of the Finance Committee, and Dana as Co-Chair of our Capital Campaign and Chair of the Nominating Committee. The Board appreciates all that they have done to move our Club forward.
Priorities for 2019
In addition to annual maintenance, the Board has a range of projects for the off-season as we strive to improve the Club.
- Complete the facilities enhancement project. Construction of the fire pit on the west lawn began in September and will be completed in the spring. The fire pit, as you can see in the rendering linked here — will be housed in a locally sourced granite boulder. On the golf course, we will be doing additional drainage, fencing and tree work as well as refurbishing the bunkers.
- Conduct member survey. We want your feedback and input. Please look for an online survey that will be emailed to you in early 2019. Member responses will guide our short- and long-term planning and help determine spending priorities. Thanks in advance for your participation.
- Review By-Laws and update as appropriate. The Club By-laws were last updated nearly ten years ago and our goal is to maintain current best practices.
- Consider additional improvements to Clubhouse. We are evaluating possible Clubhouse interior and kitchen upgrades that would enhance ambiance, service and throughput.
- Address access road/path improvements. We will be working with GHOA and relevant homeowners to address issues related to the Driving Range Road and the Golf Cart Path that parallels the first fairway.
- Continue to build a strong, inclusive Board. The Club Board is comprised of nine Directors who are elected by the membership. We anticipate one or two openings for the next three-year term. If you are interested in being considered for nomination, please contact Nancy Field, Chair of the Nominating Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Slideshow of Summer 2018
Before the first snow falls at Glenbrook and your memories of summer at the Club fade, please enjoy this slideshow, linked here.
We thank you, our members, for your support and are already looking forward to next summer. In the meantime, please expect a member survey in January 2019 and our Spring 2019 update with the 2019 calendar and other important member information in April 2019.
On behalf of the entire Glenbrook Club Board and staff, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.
Nancy Field and John Telischak